Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Our last night in Mexico

I really can't believe we are going home tomorrow. I don't have mixed emotions about going back, I'm excited. I'm giddy with excitement. I'm also very relieved and I will be even more so when we finally land on US soil. Mexico has been an amazing adventure, but I'm exhausted. Two months really isn't that long of a time, but I feel like I've been here a lot longer...about six months. I'd do it again, but with a few changes that I think would make a huge difference.

Tonight was our last night in Mexico, and aside from my growing need to get back to the states, it's great timing. For the past 12 days Mexico has been celebrating their main virgin (k- that sounds kind of funny) the Virgin de Guadalupe. Here she is on Wikipedia if you're interested. To celebrate Guadalupe there have been small parades every night, along with bands, street food and fireworks. The fireworks go off randomly throughout the day and night, of course. Tonight was the final and main night of celebration. There was a bigger parade with more horses, bands, dancers and floats. Plus hundreds of people, loads of food, and a TON of fireworks.

After spending a crazy, stormy day out on the ocean in a little boat clinging to Zoe and Geri wondering why in the world I agreed to take myself and my daughter out in the ocean after I nearly died out there less than a week ago, and starting to wonder if Jed made a mistake marrying me instead someone more adventurous, I felt obligated to join in the festivities for Guadalupe. I'd been perfectly happy to stay home and pack, but everyone else wanted to go out, so we found a restaurant overlooking the plaza to eat dinner. Here are some pictures I took during dinner.

Mexico - Sayulita

Mexico - Sayulita
You can't really tell in this picture, but the float couldn't turn because the red car was parked too close to the corner. This stopped the parade until a bunch of guys picked up the car and moved it out of the way. It was kind of funny.

Mexico - Sayulita
Later in the night crowds of people gathered around these horses to see them dance. I've never seen "dancing horses" before - they were pretty amazing.

Mexico - Sayulita
Two hours after I took this picture this plaza and the streets around it were so full of people that there was standing room only.

Mexico - Sayulita
Geri and Larry at dinner.

Mexico - Sayulita
Me, Z and Jed.

No comments: