Saturday, October 27, 2007

Insomnia and spiders

You're probably wondering how I've managed to publish more posts in one week here than a month or two on my normal blog. It's because I can't sleep here. I hate nights. I have such a hard time falling and staying asleep in places I don't feel 100% safe. Sometimes I have this problem back at home, but I'm not staying up worrying about one of us being kidnapped, the noises in the house, what in the world I'm going to do everyday for the next three weeks, what could be on the floor when I get up to go to the bathroom, keeping the bugs away from Zoe...

Speaking of bugs, they are everywhere! Ugh! At first I was just a bit freaked out. Now I'm a nice mix of paranoid, mad and annoyed. The ants have joined the fun too. Not that spiders, cockroaches, flies, and mosquitoes all over the place aren't enough. Especially at night when it's like feeding time. Thank goodness I haven't encountered any scorpions, but I did see a black widow on our walk to Chapala.

Anyhow, I will spare you from the growing collection of pictures I've taken of these pests, but they are everywhere! Especially this one kind of teeny, hairy spider - they're jumpers. I feel like I'm playing a game with them when I try to kill them. They hop around like little frogs. And they are always crawling in Zoe's diaper stack - it's so annoying. I'm OCD about shaking things out. And I always look where I'm about to sit. I'm pretty much on constant patrol. Poor Zoe is probably already traumatized from me shrieking and leaping at her from across the room whenever she sticks her hands under the couch or behind a piece of furniture. I know I need to relax a bit, but I promise you, if you were here, you'd be a on your guard too.

While I was standing in the shower this morning I counted seven spiders, and I was only facing one direction.

Somehow Jed seems to go throughout each day completely unaware of the bugs.
. . .

So now Jed and Zoe are asleep and I'm awake waiting for the Nytol I took to kick in. Nytol is the strongest thing they'd give me at the Farmacia (I guess other sleeping aids can be considered recreational drugs) and I'm really wishing I would have brought somethings with me that is worth taking. Bummer. I thought you could get anything in Mexico.

9 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

So, this definitely grosses me out! i can barely stand the reptile house at lpzoo so i feel for you. i think i got the shivers while reading this post.

hang in there, hopefully it doesn't get to the point where you glad lock zipper everything.

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chelsey said...

Nicole- I've already resorted to zip-lock bags. I came prepared with a lot of those. We put our shoes in them when we aren't wearing them, etc.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I just got all caught-up on your blog! I can't believe the adventures you are having...I've got to show Jim! He will be so jealous of those tacos (but probably not of the cockroaches!) We love you guys...I'll be checking back soon to see all your adventures!

carrie said...

yeah good thing for all those gazillion of ziplocs! Oh I am so sorry. Showering with spiders: I have nightmares like that. Stella keeps asking for Zoe. We miss you guys!

Emy said...

That's it... I was seriously considering coming down for a visit but you totally changed my mind with the spider post. Jumping spiders all over the place?!?!?!?! I need a brown paper bag before I hyperventilate!

Steph said...

I couldn't do it...I hate spiders more than anything on this planet..maybe only bees rival them. Black widow's too...nightmares for years...yuck! On a side note, at least you are eating the best food ever down there!

Jen said...

Chelsey, when I was in Israel by the Red Sea we lived with cochroaches that size--disgusting--I guess if you get used to them they are a little cute.

Hang in there!

Chelsey said...

Jen- I'm getting used to the bugs. I don't usually kill them unless they're in my way. But I don't think I'll ever think they are cute and I still think they are a pain. Especially the black widow I found outside of the side door this morning.