Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Adjusting to Ajijic

We've been in Ajijic, Mexico for two days now. Right now I'm really glad we won't be here longer than three weeks. I think the coast will be easier. Although the first several months I lived in Chicago I thought I'd died and gone to hell, and now I love it. I've learned to adjust and bloom where I'm planted much better since then. We'll see. I'm still glad we're here, but I'm sure I'll feel a lot better once I get used to it here. Here are ten things that will take some getting used to (I'll add some pictures to this list soon):
  1. Whatever is making me sick. I'd only been in Mexico for a day when I started having problems. I wasn't expecting it this early on because all I ate the first day was a muffin from Starbucks at the Guadalajara airport, tea and toast at our Canadian neighbors house, then American packaged food for lunch, and food from a nice restaurant for dinner. I'm guessing dinner was the problem.
  2. The roads and most sidewalks are cobblestone. An infant could get brain damage from a stroller ride pretty quickly. Luckily Zoe is bigger and thinks it hilarious.
    IMG_4589.JPG
  3. The bad water. I knew about this before, but I didn't realize how inconvenient it would be. We use filtered water out of a jug (like people have in offices in the states), but filling up a glass of water to take upstairs to brush my teeth with is already getting old. Poor Zoe gets car wash style showers instead of fun baths because I can't get her to stop drinking bath water.
  4. Bugs. In one day I've killed almost three dozens spiders (I had nightmares about them last night), a few mosquitoes, one very large cockroach and a variety of bugs that were already dead when I found them. I know some bugs are good, but killing them makes me feel better at this point.
  5. The maid. I am a bit concerned about her housing keeping abilities. When we got here the house smelled like cats and everything seemed dirty. I'm not really sure what she does besides water the garden and wipe down some furniture. She was here for three hours yesterday and except smelling a strange chemical and seeing water all over patio/garden, I can't tell a single difference. The owner of the house recommends we don't have the maid do dishes because Mexican maids will only use cold water. I've also heard not to let maids do laundry because they don't always use detergent. When I asked the maid if she cooks, she laughed and said, "a mi casa." Dang! Now I have to do everything myself! :)
  6. The cost of food and household products. Yesterday we spent 920.89 pesos (almost $100) for a few bags of the basics. Maybe we shopped at the wrong store, but I was pretty surprised at how much things cost.
  7. Cleaning fruits and veggies. I'm lazy enough as it is in the kitchen. Taking time to wash: apply a special fruit and vegetable cleaner, scrub, let the cleaner sit and then rinse and dry, is absolutely annoying. But supposedly the fruits and veggies are a lot better for you.
  8. Not having much for Zoe to play with. I brought some books, paper and crayons, and a few toys, but that doesn't keep her attention for very long.
  9. I don't really feel that safe here. Jed is convinced that it's a lot safer here than in Chicago, but I'm not.
  10. I can't speak Spanish. Although, I can understand more than I thought I could.
I wonder how I'll feel about these things in a few weeks.

1 comment:

The Lipman Bunch said...

That looks so cool! I found a Zoe onesy... (I'll never see another Elmo and not think of your little cutie.) I loved our visit... XOXO P.S. I also found a number four bottle top and the Signing Time DVD... where should I mail it?
The food looks great!!! We should come join you...ready for an army??