Saturday, November 24, 2007

Ocean fishing

Last Monday Jed and I went fishing in the ocean. Given my fear of large bodies of water and sharks, I'm still shocked that I did it. I spent the entire night before debating whether or not I should go, but I'm so glad I went because I had a wonderful time.

IMG_4950.JPG

While we were out we saw manta rays jumping, which they only do to get the needle fish off. It was amazing - I had no idea they jumped, and high too! When I was talking to a guy on the beach about it he said he and his fishing buddies were out a few days before and there were some manta rays swimming around them that were bigger than their boat. Incredible!

We also saw a pod of dolphins that swam so close to the boat I could almost touch them, and a bunch of sea turtles that were huge! There were a lot of dead blowfish flowing around all puffed up. The boat captain told us they get stuck in the shrimping nets and die, which is sad. Oddly, we saw several butterflies. I have no idea what they were doing flying above the ocean 30 miles away from land. I kept thinking that one would stop on our boat to rest, but it never happened. It baffled me. We also watched a lot of birds fish, and they were having a lot better luck than we were. The big fish would herd lots of small fish up to the surface of the water to feed and the birds would take advantage of having food practically handed to them.

sea turtle

Jed caught one small dorado (aka mahi-mahi) on our way back, about 5 miles from the shore, but it was a beautiful fish. I kept waiting until we caught a fish to take pictures, so sadly, these are the best I took. Next time I'm going to take some more and shoot some video footage. And next time I want to catch a marlin or sailfish!

Jed and his fish

Our captain, Enrique, filleted the durado on the spot.

Enrique gutting the durado

Our friend DeDe who watched Zoe for the five hours we were gone fishing. Zoe loves DeDe!

IMG_4967.JPG

1 comment:

Karyn said...

You guys are so adventurous.