Friday, November 9, 2007

A beautiful day!

This morning my sweet husband volunteered to watched Zoe so I could go the the Art Expo in Chapala, which I'd really been looking forward to.

Art Expo

Laureano Martinez Guzman and Marina Castro Lopez create these beautiful Catrinas. Here I am with Laureano. I fell in love with these Catrinas and I wanted to get a few of them, but they are expensive and very fragile, so I only got one. It is a woman in a fitted red and black dress with a big hat and flowers. They wrapped it up and put it in a box so I can get it back to the states in one piece (hopefully), so I will post a picture of it when I finally get it home and unwrap it. She will definitely be on display next Halloween.

IMG_4883.JPG

The pictures don't show how amazing the Catrinas are, but below are a couple other Catrinas that I loved. I love the full skirts on their dresses. I didn't get the one with the cream skirt because the animals on her have a lot of tiny parts that I'm sure would be in tiny pieces if I tried to take her home. I loved the one in the black dress, but I couldn't do the gun thing. I hope to add some Catrinas like these to my collection eventually.

Catrina

Catrina

Our next door neighbors, Barbara and Brian, have been so good do us during our stay. Barbara collects beautiful ceramic balls that are made by an artist from Jalisco (the state we are in). When I first saw them at her house (she has baskets full of them), I decided I would get some for my parents, who I think would appreciate the artistry. Barbara knows the artist well, and had him reserve some for me. Unfortunately, I was only able to get one due to limited suitcase space and the fragility of the ball, but the artist gave me a great deal and autographed it for me. Thanks Barbara! I will post a picture of it after I've given it to my parents (it too is packed up for travel). Here I am with Barbara.

Chelsey and Barbara

This is Martin Ibarra, the ceramic maestro.



I had a chance to walk up and down the pier on Lake Chapala while I was at the expo. The sun felt so good!

Lake Chapala

Chapala

1 comment:

Emy said...

Wow! Looks amazing Chels! Wish I could have been there with you.